Re: why is 'dbf' in non-free?

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 02:46:47PM -0600, DvB wrote:
>
> The best place to look for this information is in the copyright file
> contained in the package.  In this case, the problem is with the copyright
> for libdbf:

<snip>
> This is non-free because it restricts commercial use of the software, and
> charging for copies.  The laterr makes it impossible to sell a Debian CD
> containing this software.

I see... that makes sense.

Anyway, I've just released my version under the LGPL and anyone's
welcome to try it out and send me feedback. Note that it hasn't been
very widely tested and only with Xbase v3 files since I don't have
access to any other version at the moment. I also intend to redesign it
in the (hopefully near) future to make it more extensible, since I
would like to add more file formats.

You can download the source tarball at
http://home.jam.rr.com/dvb/DBFTools.tar.gz