Re: serious bug. Evolution and Microsoft mentality.

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:29:43AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
*This* is the real problem with Evolution. It should use another GnuPG
system. Evolution's behavior with mboxes is the right thing to do, as
mboxes need to be locked.

Could you explain that?  Using realpath() before locking the mbox would
prevent any possible bad interactions between symlinking and locking.
Its the Right Thing to do.  What Evolution currently does is NOT.

I object to attempts to lock me in to a single MUA.  While I'm
evaluating I expect to be able to continue using Mutt until I am
confident enough in Evolution to cut the umbilical cord.

FYI, Evo handles perfectly Maildir trees, including those with symlinks,
and can be used along with another MUA.

Yes, that is true.  It will be nice if in the future Evolution will
default to creating mailboxes in Maildir format, instead of mbox format.
Or at least make it an option to create new Folders in Maildir format
instead of assuming mbox.

"the code does things this way; ergo it's not a bug" just SCARES me.  I
feel like GNOME is just going to return us to the land of Microsoft,

Calm down. Evolution is free software, that makes a huge difference with
Microsoft software.

In the words of Eric Raymond:  "I dream of a world in which software does
not suck".  If free software isn't as much about software not sucking as
it is about source being open, is there much point?

I was trying to draw attention to the arrogant attitude that says "this
isn't a bug because I don't know how to fix it, or its hard to fix".  Or
worse, that ignores the tenets of the Unix Philosophy which made Unix so
powerful in the first place.  Even the bestest most uptodate modern GUI
program can adhere to the Unix philosophy without compromising its ease
of use in any way.  And by adhering to its tenets, it lets itself be
used with the rest of the Unix system in the most powerful way.

Jonathan

q.v. principle of of least surprise.