Re: Appropriate? mutt/mailx requires mail-transport-agent

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:48:53PM -0800, elf@florence.buici.com wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.  I believe that my confusion was founded in
> the idea that an MTA both sends and receives mail.  The ssmtp package
> is an appropriate provider for the sendmail portion of the
> mail-transport-agent without the corresponding burden of a local mail
> receiver.

ObPedant:

Actually, the job you're describing isn't properly that of an MTA,
rather an MSA: Mail Submission Agent.  But in Debian terms they are
unified.

There are actually three jobs: MSA, MTA, MDA, for submission,
transmission, and delivery.  Sendmail and exim are all three of these
(or, can be configured to be all three).  ssmtp is, I believe, just an
MSA.

Jules