Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

Hi,

At Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:47:41 +0200,
Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:

> > btw, non-ASCII characters are not permitted in email headers - and one
> > of the main uses for the Maintainer: field is to provide a contact email
> > address
>
> uh, it did not occur to me...
> finally someone was able to provide a reasonable argument :-)

MIME can be used for mail headers to contain non-ASCII characters.

BTW, there are many mails which use 8bit character (most of them
seem to want to mean ISO-8859-1 characters) in debian-devel and
other lists.  They are also illegal without "Content-Type" header
like:

and it is a fact that many Debian developers send illegal e-mails.

(Anyway, I use EUC-JP terminal to read mails, which mean that
I cannot read ISO-8859-1 characters even with correct "content-type"
header.)

> So, probably these fields should be named Maintainer-email:
> and Maintainer-name: (or just Maintainer:), but,
> though, for backwards compatibility, Maintainer:
> should be RFC 2822-like email address, and
> there would be Maintainer-anything: field with full name.

Mail is only one aspect of this problem.  The main problem is
that Debian will support many encodings including UTF-8, ISO-8859-*,
EUC-*, Big5, KOI8-*, and so on for LC_CTYPE locale.  I think we don't
need to support EBCDIC as a locale encoding.  Fortunately ASCII is
the common part of these encodings and guaranteed to be displayed in
any environments.

> So this is unclear how to interpret this properly,
> if 8-bit characters are allowed when quoted or not at all...

8-bit characters?  Do you mean Kanji?  Or, Cyrillic?
(Just a joke :-)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/