warning: hold tar-1.13.25-1

By upgrading tar to version 1.13.25-1 55 of my installed packages are
flagged for removal. A partial list includes: cpio, kernel-package,
build-essential, devscipts, debsums, debhelper, dk-make, debmake, gv,
gs*, balsa, nautilus, evolution. This is due to a conflict with cpio
<= 2.4.2-38, see below.

There is new cpio (2.4.2-39) in incoming, but that package should be
uploaded _before_ the new tar, not after. My tempoary workaround is:

#dpkg --set-selections
tar hold
^D

Is there some way to order packages in the upload queue?

#apt-cache show tar
Package: tar
Essential: yes
Section: base
Installed-Size: 1204
Maintainer: Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.13.25-1
Replaces: cpio
Pre-Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4)
Suggests: bzip2
Conflicts: cpio (<= 2.4.2-38)
Filename: pool/main/t/tar/tar_1.13.25-1_i386.deb