where is fam?

Looking at bug #95635, it appears that fam is being worked on.  However,
no packages have shown up yet.  Why is this?  Is there some horrible
problem with fam that makes it unpackagable?

The bug brings up issues of "linux-ism", but also that compile-time
patches can fix that (so Linux users get the kernel notification, and
BSD/Hurd/whatever users can get by without it).

Both KDE and GNOME would use this package if it existed, and I want to
use it in a project for Debian/GNOME, as well.  I'm sure there are other
programs in Debian that would be enhanced if they could be compiled with
their fam support.

What's the hold up?  If the maintainer isn't going to upload any
packages, what is stopping an NMU from some of the other parties
interested in doing the work?

Thanks!
Sean Etc.