Re: X won't start following card / server changes.

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 2:39 am, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> Purged all of X and all X applications snd reinstalled from "Woody"
> unofficial CD's of 9/11/2001 from fsn.hu.  These  disks are known
> working on other machines.
>
> Now getting the attached X log whenever I attempt to start X.  xdm is
> installed but does nothing.  If I killall xdm then startx, I get. the
> X log attached.
Not what you would think. A knowledgeable colleague strace'd X
and pointed out to me that the UNIX socket wasn't there.

insmod unix.o and it worked.

It seems that /etc/modules.conf got amended somehow losing a hash sign
and I also had to amend the aliases for modutils for it all to work.

Just for reference, in case it bites someone else.  It's had me cursing
for several days!

Andy.