Re: automake fun

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:15:06PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> "Steve M. Robbins" <steven.robbins@videotron.ca> writes:
>
> > True, but everything still works if the build system is missing
> > automake.  I gather that is the "problem" you perceive?

> Regardless, we can't rely on the build system not having
> auto{conf,make} installed (at least not without a Build-Conflicts on
> them, but that strikes me as more evil than the other options).

Well, normally that is not a problem either: if configure detects
automake, and runs it, that usually works.  If not, there is a bug in
the package's auto-* input files (configure.in, Makefile.am, etc).

If the package files are buggy and don't work with, say automake1.5,
then using build-conflicts seems the cleanest option, to me.  Or fix
the package.

-S

--
by Rocket to the Moon,