Re: Offer to take over maintenance of base-config

On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 11:32:54PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 03:56:17AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 17, 2001 at 01:32:20PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > > * Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> [20011117 01:57]:
> > > Why don't you send in patches first?
> > Othmar already has
>
> Patches that don't work don't really count.

doesn't look like it would take hardly any work to fix it.
alternativly simply remove the calls to apt-get clean altogether.

i really fail to see why its acceptable to prevent dialup users from
installing debian over the network, its nearly impossible to download
hundreds of MB worth of packages without at least one timeout, one
timeout is all thats needed for apt to bail on the install, once it
does base-config happily removes all downloaded debs and you must
start all over again (just ask Othmar this is precisly what happened
to him).  deleting these files without admin permission is simply
unacceptable any way you put it, thier removal is the *admin's*
decision, not yours and not joey's.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/