Re: support for multilingual Packages files?

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 01:11:59PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 10:08:08PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > At Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:01:57 +0200,
> > Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> wrote:
> >
> > > It strikes me as a bit of over-complication.
> > > Moreover, non-ascii chars can appear elsewhere, not just in
> > > maintainer's name (e.g. in package description)
> >
> > I think having two fields of Maintainer: and Maintainer-utf8: is
> > a good idea to force maintainers not to use non-ASCII characters
> > in Maintainer: field.
>
> not a bad idea.
>
> btw, non-ASCII characters are not permitted in email headers - and one
> of the main uses for the Maintainer: field is to provide a contact email
> address

uh, it did not occur to me...
finally someone was able to provide a reasonable argument :-)

So, probably these fields should be named Maintainer-email:
and Maintainer-name: (or just Maintainer:), but,
though, for backwards compatibility, Maintainer:
should be RFC 2822-like email address, and
there would be Maintainer-anything: field with full name.

well... RFC 2822 says:
   This standard specifies that messages are made up of characters
   in the US-ASCII range of 1 through 127.
but later on it goes:
   Strings of characters that include characters other than those
   allowed in atoms may be represented in a quoted string format, where
   the characters are surrounded by quote (DQUOTE, ASCII value 34)
   characters.

So this is unclear how to interpret this properly,
if 8-bit characters are allowed when quoted or not at all...