Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:28:11AM -0700, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:30:32AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> >
> > the /opt thing makes more sense to me.  initscripts in
> > /etc/opt/init.d, the binary cruft in /opt/package, install symlinks
> > (or wrapper scripts) in /opt/bin.
>
> and /opt is FHS compliant.

yup

> so if the LSB limited itself to specifying libraries and their versions
> that should be avaialble, we would have something that is 1) simple to
> understand and 2) easy to implement.

indeed, all the lsb cruft can go in /opt/lsb/lib and the wrapper
scripts for proprietary packages can start with
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/lsb/lib (or whatever is appropriate to
activate the obolsete lsb libs.

that way it never interferes with the rest of the normal and Free
system.

> sounds like a winner to me.

indeed.

--