Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 11:56:26PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 04:55:30PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> >
> > The thing is the specifying of what runlevels do so explicitly and then having
> > packaghers rely on that as opposed to relying on how the packaging system
> > works still feels icky to me.
>
> its not just icky its pure idiocy!  all it takes for it to totally
> fall over on itself is me not having xdm installed!
>
> this rubbish runlevel system only works on redhat because redhat makes
> it impossible to remove xdm if you have X installed!

which is easily solved by having lsb.deb depend upon xdm.

-john

personally, i am becoming very lukewarm towards this LSB thing.

would it be possible or more feasible to have the entire LSB as being a
chroot, so it can have its own libraries, and its orn init.d scripts,
and not have to even bother with worrying about the rest of the system
at all?