Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 12:54:24AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:08:29PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:
> > However the debian way of looking at this is, if you dont have/want
> > xdm running, why the heck is it installed? If a package requires xdm
> > (or some other daemon people think is runlevel dependant) the
> > package can depend on xdm. And again if you dont run xdm is there a
> > reason for having stuff that will only run with it running
> > installed? I cant see a reason. Package dpendancies do all this
> > fine, why introduce further dependanceis based on runlevels that may
> > or may not be specified in the package dpends field.
>
> Because you might not want xdm running all the time?  My laptop
> doesn't start up xdm by default, since if I'm running in "airplane
> mode" and am just doing development, I'll just run in console mode
> only, and not starting up X or xdm saves memory, and saving memory
> saves disk accesses, and saving disk access saves batteries.
>
> If I do want to fire up xdm, I do so by typing the command "sudo telinit 5".
>
> Having to continuously install and de-install xdm depending on whether
> I want it to start would be.... tiresome.

okay so in debian one would have xdm installed, remove all the symlinks from
the /etc/rc?.d/ directories that refer to xdm (well use update-rc.d to do it
but hey) and then when you actually want to use xdm type "sudo xdm", but hey
this is just a different way of doing it. I am not saying it is obviously
better and the redhat way is wrong.

Of course doing this also means any package that relies on it being running
cant just depend on the install, however I still cant think of anything that
depends on xdm being running as opposed to just available (so it can be used
when xdm does infact run)

The thing is the specifying of what runlevels do so explicitly and then having
packaghers rely on that as opposed to relying on how the packaging system
works still feels icky to me.

        See You
            Steve

--