Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 12:45:11AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> It's really a bad situation, but honestly the only people who care are us.
> Everyone else uses the rpm program and rather by definition rpm works with
> whatever it is the lsb has specified.

well I wonder about that, does rpm really work with every other distribution,
after all the other distributions all have incompatible rpms and thus a suse
rpm should not be used on redhat and vice versa. Also I have noticed redhat
have this habit of break rpm (the tool) with every major release. So packages
that were made for redhat systems back with the rpm2 tool wont work on a
system with the rpm4 tools installed. Makes you wonder about the sensibility
of it all. But anyway I assume most other distributions will also have to
somehow ensure capability with the old restricted rpm spec for lsb.

debs from buzz will still isntall onto potato if the rigth libs are there, it
wont be clean but hey the package format is sensible and backward compatible,
the same cant be said for rpm. (at least in my limited experience with working
on redhat and suse based systems)

        See You
            Steve

--