Re: RFC: Removing SVGA support from Ghostscript packages

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 08:38:21PM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > Yes there are people still using libsvga support and there even are
> > packages that depend on it like bmv (a postscript viewer for console
> > that is maintained by me and that is still actively developed).
> > Therefore, please do not remove libsvga support before there is
> > another option for previewing postscript files on the console
> > (e.g. via framebuffer), since this would take away an important
> > functionality from console only users!!!
>
> why not create a gs-svga package (which depends on gs) containing only
> the gs binary compiled with svga support? that way those who need it can
> have it, and those who don't can have one less setuid root program on
> their system.

You misunderstand my motivation to do away with the svga stuff. That code
requires fixing on each package update and it is holding me back all the
time. I don't care if svgalib-dummyg1 has to be installed for gs since
that's only about 20kb.

Instead there should be a "real" driver for the frame buffer or something
along the line that everybody could use. GGI just died for this goal
since it depends on the xlibs and I want to build a package without
X11 support soon (now that xlibs are 5MB...)

OTOH gs itself is just as big so I don't know if it is worth the effort.

cu
	Torsten