Re: sensible-browser and sensible-image-viewer

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:02:32 +0200
Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 10:12:56PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 21:11:33 +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > > sensible-image-viewer may use mime-types to choose the program to launch.
> >
> > Erm, what would this do that "see" (from the "mime-support" package) doesn't
> > already do?
> >
> > Ray
> > --
> > Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.
> >

> Well, as stated, nothing . see do the trick.  But sensible-image-viewer could
> look at an environment variable before mime types. This will allow to have
> simple per applications configuration, and it is easier to set a environment
> variable thant to modify mailcap for all image format, present and future, but
> perhaps it is better to modify 'see' than to create another script.

What _really_ needs to be done (in my opinion) is to write a convenient script
like update-mime to edit ~/.mailcap and ~/.mime.types. Then there's no need for
this environment variable.

The only reason most programs pay attention to $EDITOR, $VISUAL, et al, is because
mime-support is Debian-specific (or, at least, only ships with Debian). Were
mime-support a piece of software one would reasonably expect on any sane Unix
system (alongside ed, vi, et al), $EDITOR, $VISUAL, et al would not exist.

However, since this _is_ Debian, and we _do_ have mime-support, we should _use_ its
vastly superior power.

Regards,

Alex.