Re: merged messages mystery

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 11:44:20AM +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 05:08:19AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> > I was getting these _all the time_, a few weeks ago.  I've since switched
> > to using Maildir, and I haven't had a problem since.
>
> Are you using uw-imap or uw-ipopd as well?

Neither.  I have mail delivered directly to my box through copious
amounts of aliases ;)

> I suspect a problem with /var/spool/mail 's permissions. In
> /usr/share/doc/uw-imapd-ssl/bugs.txt.gz one can read:
>
>  . /tmp, /usr/tmp or /var/tmp (if present), and the mail spool directory
>       must be protected 1777 (world write with sticky bit); otherwise
>       mailbox locking and updates won't work.
>
> But on Debian systems /var/spool/mail 's mode is drwxrwsr-x

Sounds reasonable.

> > I'm using exim and procmail; in my .procmailrc, I appended the following:
> > :O:
> > *
> > /var/spool/mail/dilinger/
>
> You don't need the * in your recipie
>
> I tried it and procmail doesn't have the rights to create a directory in
> /var/spool/mail so indeed I would have to create a directory for each
> user in that case, which is a bummer.  OTOH if the permissions on
> /var/spoo/mail were 1777 it would work automatically.

If you can spare the potentially lost emails, I'd suggest testing out
your theory, and seeing if the corruption goes away.  This is a fairly
big annoyance, and I'm sure other people are experiencing it as well..

--
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited
by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when