Re: merged messages mystery

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 05:08:19AM -0400, Andres Salomon wrote:
> I was getting these _all the time_, a few weeks ago.  I've since switched
> to using Maildir, and I haven't had a problem since.

Are you using uw-imap or uw-ipopd as well?

I suspect a problem with /var/spool/mail 's permissions. In
/usr/share/doc/uw-imapd-ssl/bugs.txt.gz one can read:

 . /tmp, /usr/tmp or /var/tmp (if present), and the mail spool directory
      must be protected 1777 (world write with sticky bit); otherwise
      mailbox locking and updates won't work.

But on Debian systems /var/spool/mail 's mode is drwxrwsr-x

> I'm using exim and procmail; in my .procmailrc, I appended the following:
> :O:
> *
> /var/spool/mail/dilinger/

You don't need the * in your recipie

I tried it and procmail doesn't have the rights to create a directory in
/var/spool/mail so indeed I would have to create a directory for each
user in that case, which is a bummer.  OTOH if the permissions on
/var/spoo/mail were 1777 it would work automatically.

> The trailing '/' tells procmail to use Maildir format; since
> /var/spool/mail/dilinger is still technically my mailbox, I didn't
> need to make any changes to my mutt or $MAIL.  Oh, I think I had
> to physically mkdir /var/spool/mail/dilinger, I forget..

> I still have my other mailing lists siphoned to ~/Mail/<ml name>,
> but corruption in those was never a problem.

Same setup here.

Thanks for you help.

--
Hoare's Law of Large Problems:
        Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.