Re: ITP: libmpeg3 -- an mpeg audio and video decoding library

> > > My slightly-modified plans, then, are to package libmpeg3 as the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > libmpeg3-dev [0]
> > > libmpeg3-$MAJORVERSION
> > >
> > > If I don't hear any objections, I'll proceed this way.
> >
> > Again I say that if your going to do this then libmpeg1 needs to be renamed.
> >

> > it still clash's from a package name standpoint...yes the actual libraries
> > might not, but the package does.
>
> Marcelo explained and I restated that they shouldn't conflict, because
> the following packages would belong to libmpeg:
>
> libmpeg1, libmpeg2, libmpeg3, etc.
> libmpeg-dev
>
> and the following packages would belong to libmpeg3:
>
> libmpeg3-1, libmpeg3-2, libmpeg3-3, etc.
> libmpeg3-dev
>
> So they clearly won't clash literally. Are you arguing that they could
> possibly be mistaken for the other?

I wasn't originally..but now that I see that laied out like that I can see
that I wouldn't know the difference between them just by looking at the
package names.  I personally think that the naming is just going to cause
confusion but as long as dependencies are accurate and a name clash is avoided
then I don't care.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II