Re: ITP: libmpeg3 -- an mpeg audio and video decoding library

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 10:45:32PM -0400, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 07:06:57PM -0700, Joshua Haberman wrote:
> >
> > There is one legality issue regarding this library: it contains DeCSS
> > code. The tarball contains a stub file that can be substituted for the
> > source file containing DeCSS code, however the upstream tarball will
> > still have the DeCSS code in it. How should I resolve this?
> >

> libcss and other CSS implementations contain cryptography, so it needs to go
> in non-us unless you complete a BXA export notification form. See the
> debian-legal archives for information on where CSS containing programs
> belong. Suggest non-us/main, or main if you complete an export notification.

non-US is for software that can not be *exported* from the US, it is legal
to use it *everywhere*.

It is illegal to *import* a circumvention device, like CSS, into the US.
AFAIK it is legal to use CSS everywhere *except the US*.

non-US is not an appropriate place for CSS distribution. Something else would
be needed for distribution of CSS code.

This is a similar situation to that with lame, etc.