Re: Preparing 2.2r3

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 12:45:48PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:

> setiathome  stable    3.0-3       m68k, powerpc
> setiathome  stable    3.0-5       arm
> setiathome  stable    3.0-7       alpha, i386, sparc
> setiathome  updates   3.0-8       powerpc
> setiathome  updates   3.03-2      alpha, i386
>
> 	1st I'm not convinced why a new version should go into stable.
>
> 	Gregg Berkholtz says: The following text is from the main
> 	SETI@Home page (http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu): "...
> 	SETI@home version 3.03 is available and mandatory for all
> 	supported platforms. Earlier versions are unable to contact
> 	our server, so please upgrade to version 3.03..."  Also, in
> 	potato, the install fails due to the fact that it tries to
> 	fetch a now non-existent .tgz file.
>
> 	2nd Versions are totally out of sync.  Fix that please.
>
> 	If architectures are synced I'll be convinced.
>
> 	Maintainer: Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org>

I already wrote to AJ about this. 3.03-2 is the latest in
proposed-updates and that is the only one that need be considered. The
version in stable is completely broken, as pointed above, since the
tar.gz file for the 3.0 binary at the setiathome site is deprecated.
In this sense, it meets a principal criterion of yours, viz., point 3,
the version in stable is completely broken (in this case due to an
upstream change).

As for syncing the various archs, the only architectures for which the
setiathome 3.03 client binary is currently available are i386, alpha,
and powerpc. sparc should be out soon. So for setiathome, it is not
possible to sync all archs. I think an exception has to be made. I
will try to find a powerpc machine to build 3.03-2 and upload soon.
This is a popular package in the contrib section, and I get many
reports of people running stable and having the install break.

Thanks
Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>