Re: I broke it - again.

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 02:10:51PM +0200, Michael Moerz typed:
} On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Colin Watson wrote:
} > e9625136@stud3.tuwien.ac.at wrote:
} > >On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 12:47:03AM +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
} > >> downgrade ldso
} > >
} > >nice suggestion, but did you ever try to downgrade something when dpkg
} > >doesn't work ? I don't believe you did. But I'm sorry in this case your
} > >suggestion as easy as it seems will not work.
} >
} > If I can unpack .debs on a Red Hat system, then I can unpack them on a
} > broken Debian system ...
} >
} Of course you can. But the one posting the question doesn't seem  to be
} familiar with debian enough.

Yes, but when you get into Weird Situations (as you typically will from
time to time with *unstable*, it's *unstable* for a reason :)) you need
to do research, poke around, etc.  If you aren't prepared to do this it's
unwise to go poking around unstable, imho.

} Even pointing out to the force option is
} in this situation very unwise. That leaves some newbie in the situation to
} cope with a broken system when he doesn't start downgrading with ld.so.

I meant to use force to get the ldso package to install in the first
place.  I didn't mean "use it ever afterwards", and force (despite
it's inherent dangerousness) won't break your system if you know what
you're doing.

} > That is, you don't need dpkg to unpack Debian packages; you just need
} > ar, gunzip, and tar. Read deb(5).
} >
} yeah, I DID KNOW THAT, I just was in a hurry to get to bed after a
} workfull day. Anyway it's not very easy to answere and speak about all
} relating topics.

That's kind of around and about the center issue.

} But do you think the creators of the whole packaging system suppose you to
} manually upgrade/downgrade everything? I should normally work without much
} user-interference.

It's *unstable*.  It's **unstable**.   It's UNSTABLE.

We're talking about one situation where things broke down.  In an
unstable, pretty dang near experimental (if not already so) distribution.

--
An Thi-Nguyen Le