Re: I need a backup device. Anybody got one I can have?

    Branden> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 03:56:15AM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
    >> I need a backup device
    Branden> [...]
    >> I cannot afford to buy a backup device.

    Branden> Sure, I've got one you can have.  You'll have to ignore some of its
    Branden> features, though:

    Branden> * the array of sensors, miniature lenses, and microphones on it
    Branden> * the directional antenna that always seems to point to Fort Meade, MD
    Branden> * the fact that it will bury the needle on any Gauss meter brought within
    Branden>   20 feet
    Branden> * the unremovable neon sign for your window that says
    Branden>   "BURGLARS AND SMACK ADDICTS WELCOME"

 Branden, I've got to meet you.  You have very strange sense of humor
 that I like.

 Uhhmmm... I don't know what sort of "backup device" you are
 describing though.  Are you goofing or do you have an old scsi tape
 drive I can have?

 The other option is to scp tarballs to klecker.  I don't need to back
 up everything there, but some stuff ought to be redundantified.

 Will our home dirs there be backed up?  How will that be handled?
 Will the backup system used allow us to create a dotfile that says
 which things are Ok to skip a backup of?  How do I restore something
 in case I goof?

--
We should not penalize the conscientious to coddle those who run brain-dead software.
I am karlheg, of deB.ORG.  You will be freed.  Resistance is useful.