Re: Avifile package

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 11:14:43AM +0200, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.

> > > But contrib should be OK I assume ??
> >
> > No. contrib is for dfsg free packages that need non-free programs to
> > function usefully.
>

> Here is definition:
>
> Contrib
>   Packages in this area are free themselves but depend on other software that
>   is not free.
> Non-Free
>   Packages in this area do not necessarily cost money, but have some onerous
>   license condition restricting use or redistribution of the software.
>
> When I remove GSM decoder from the program which is the only part
> of the avifile which is not GPL it will became GPL.
>
> As some win32 dll files are non GPL, but they are free to use
> I've assumed it should go into contrib. There are no know restriction
> to me so they free. To fit non-free there would have to be some restriction.
> So maybe win32 dlls could go to contrib ??
>
>  so to made it clear we have two options:
>
> avifile-player (with libraries) & avifile-samples will be in contrib
> and codecs-win32 will stay in non-free libs
>
> avifile-player & sample will go to main (which should be ok and the program
> itself works, however its not very useful)
> codecs will end up in contrib.

The correct solution would be a third option. As long as
avifile-player & sample will work without the codecs they can go
into main. But the codecs-win32 _must_ be in non-free. This will
be allowed as long as avifile-player & sample will not depend on
codecs-win32.

As an example you can take the package gnupg which is in
non-US/main. As additional plugins there are non-free algorithms
for gnupg in the packages gpg-idea, gpg-rsa and gpg-rsaref. All
of them are in non-US/non-free.

To ease the installation of the player, you can create a
metapackage which depends on all three packages. This should go
into contrib.

    Ingo
--
<PRE>      _