Re: Clicking a dialog box (Re: Which task package installs gpm?)

    Junichi> In 21 Sep 2000 00:44:40 -0700 karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) cum veritate scripsit :
    >> The `auto-apt' might be like an `autoload' then, huh?  If I click one
    >> that's not installed yet, it pops up a dialog that offers to install
    >> it for me, installs it (must be root or know the su password?), then
    >> launches it.

    Junichi> One thing I find fundamentally difficult about this and other things is that there
    Junichi> does not seem to be a way of telling whether it is a console session or a X session,
    Junichi> and we (Debian) seem to have defaulted for the console.

    Junichi> I would love to hack "readline" to show a dialog box when in X mode, so that
    Junichi> "sudo", "gnupg" etc. can ask for password in a dialog box (I don't know how I would do it).
    Junichi> I don't know what I should be doing for "Yes/No" questions. Each application program
    Junichi> probably needs to be addressed.

 I think that would be very annoying, if it does it based on whether
 DISPLAY is set.  If I'm using a terminal, I don't want a dialog box
 in my face.  Hmmm... so if stdin is not a terminal, then do it?

--
We should not penalize the conscientious to coddle those who run brain-dead software.
I am karlheg, of deB.ORG.  You will be freed.  Resistance is useful.