Re: Proposed: task-secure-system package

On 2000-10-20 14:03, Robert van der Meulen wrote:
>> may remove the need for this).  People who have packages on hold currently
>> won't know that the new version fixes a root exploit.
>
>If you're security-aware enough to run a task-secure-system, are you then
>not aware enough to keep track of bugs and upgrades ? :)
>I do get your point, above was not meant to be flame-bait;)

There are machines which I only get to see for a few hours a year.  I can't
keep track of all the security issues that have come up since the last time I
saw such a machine.

>> >permissions, disallow remote-root ssh logins etc.).
>>
>> I disagree.  I think that in the way machines get used in large networks
>> allowing remote root logins via RSA key is good.
>
>disagree ;) It's offtopic here i guess, but i think there's never a need to
>remote-login as root. There's always the 'operator' account (in case of
>nis), or some other local account (non-nis), and in the worst-case scenario
>of no-user-accounts-working-anymore there's the console.

No.  I like to have ssh as root enabled so that I can login directly to do
regular maintenance tasks with minimum stuffing around.  Doing the "enter
password to su to root" thing works if you run one or two machines.  But if
you run 50 machines it's ridiculous to consider such things.

>> >I would like to work on stuff like this, but probably can't find the time
>> >to do this by myself ;)
>>
>> OK.  Maybe this is something we can discuss at the next debian-devel-nl
>> meeting or linux-prog-nl meeting.
>
>Let's do that ;) - but only if we can go to that icecream-bar thing again!

OK.  Any people interested in linux programmers meetings in the Netherlands
please mail me off the list.  I'll arrange one soonish.