Re: Misclassification of packages; "libs" and "doc" sections

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Eray Ozkural wrote:

> In other words, categories, IMHO should be separate entities as I'd previously
> written on debian-devel. Of course, nobody had taken any notice of it
> except a few people.

It is possible that more people noticed it then you thought. I, for one,
simply think packages are a wonderful idea. I'd just add to apt-get a
feature "remove this package, and all the packages it depends on except
those which are depended on by something else".

Tasks should be *orthogonal* to package categorization. Tasks are a
convinient way to install packages relating to some..well...task. Say, if
I'm a Python program, I know that if I install task-python I'll be able
to program in Python. That might include things in interp/ devel/ and
maybe even X11 (say, an IDE).

On the other hand categorization helps me when I have something specific
I want to install (say, freeciv). I want to know where to look for it:
games, x11, what?

I think the answer to categorization could be:

 -- have all the packages in one central directory
 -- have different directories for each category, each with symlinks to
    the central directory.

Not as powerful as a graph but Good Enough For All Practical Purposes(tm).
--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.