Re: [BALLOT] Social Contract Change Amendment

[quoted text removed by Hamish restored]

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 08:31:35AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2000 at 03:21:50PM +0200, David N. Welton wrote:
> > So how do I vote to leave everything alone and not fool with it?

> > Vote yes to the amendment. If the amendment passes, you can vote
> > either yes or not to the general resolution because the amended GR
> > doesn't remove non-free.
>
> > If the amendment does not pass, vote against the GR if you want to
> > keep non-free.
>
> > If the amendment does not pass and the GR does, we'll have a
> > flamewar to dwarf every one we've had so far. Then a significant
> > percentage of developers will quit.

> > So, if I basically don't want any mucking about done with Debian, I
> > vote no for everything.
>
> That'll do.

You'll note, David, that Hamish urged you to "vote yes to the amendment"
despite the fact that voting no to both amendments actually better reflects
statisfaction with the status quo, which what you asked for (as you
determined yourself).  This is because by not accepting Anthony's
amendment, the pending GR would require a larger majority to pass,
rendering its passage less likely.  Hamish wanted you to vote yes for the
amendment because it would result in a change that he finds more personally
palatable -- but it is change nevertheless, and thus "mucking about done
with Debian.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Somebody once asked me if I thought sex
Debian GNU/Linux                |    was dirty.  I said, "It is if you're