Re: When unstable breaks

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 12:04:15PM +0200, Petr Cech wrote:
> > Since the current problems with glibc I start thinking, wouldn't
> > it be a good idea that when such a problem is noticed, the
> > server goes in a state of "I don't give (some) package because
> > something is messed up" until the problem is fixed? It would
>
> one word: unstable
> second word: testing

Actually, interventions due to severe breakages in unstable aren't unheard
of -- I remember that makedev package once included /dev as a plain file and
after a few people got hit, the admins let in fixed makedev upload before
time and released it into the mirror network (just that one package).

But yes, one should try to be prepared for everything when using unstable,
and use testing or stable+manual upgrades if they're too scared :)