Autoconf cannot find threads anymore?!

Hi,

After an update today from the unstable dist, my ICU build doesn't recognize
that Linux supports threads anymore:

checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... no
checking for pthread_mutex_init in -lpthread... no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthreads... no
checking for pthread_create in -lcma... no
checking if we need -pthread for threads... no
checking for pthread_mutex_lock... no

The autoconf code is included below. It always worked so far. Any idea in
what changed that could cause this problem?

Thanks!
YA

dnl Autoconf snippet

ICU_USE_THREADS=0

dnl Test for HPUX cma threads first..
if test $hpuxcma = true; then
 dnl HPUX cma case
 if test $threads = true; then
  AC_CHECK_LIB(cma, pthread_create)
  if test $ac_cv_lib_cma_pthread_create = yes; then
   ICU_USE_THREADS=1
  fi
 fi
else
if test $threads = true; then

 dnl special pthread handling
 dnl AIX uses pthreads instead of pthread, and HP/UX uses cma
 dnl FreeBSD users -pthread
 AC_CHECK_LIB(pthread, pthread_create)

 if test $ac_cv_lib_pthread_pthread_create = yes; then
  ICU_USE_THREADS=1
 else
   dnl For HP 11
   AC_CHECK_LIB(pthread, pthread_mutex_init)
   if test $ac_cv_lib_pthread_pthread_mutex_init = yes; then
     ICU_USE_THREADS=1
   fi
 fi

 if test $ICU_USE_THREADS = 0; then
  AC_CHECK_LIB(pthreads, pthread_create)
  if test $ac_cv_lib_pthreads_pthread_create = yes; then
   ICU_USE_THREADS=1
  fi
 fi

 if test $ICU_USE_THREADS = 0; then
 AC_CHECK_LIB(cma, pthread_create)
  if test $ac_cv_lib_cma_pthread_create = yes; then
   ICU_USE_THREADS=1
  fi
 fi

 dnl If all other thread tests fail, try BSD's -pthread
 if test $ICU_USE_THREADS = 0; then
  AC_PTHREAD_FREEBSD
 fi

 AC_CHECK_FUNC(pthread_mutex_lock)

 if test $ac_cv_func_pthread_mutex_lock = yes; then
   ICU_USE_THREADS=1
 fi

fi
fi