RE: we need a release announcement -- soon [source material]

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Christian Pernegger wrote:

> Apt wasn't really standard with slink, was it? And "painless and flawless"

Apt was recommended for doing dist-upgrades.

> doesn't convey its power. IMHO this part should mention:
>
> 	* that it's possibe to use many different sources, on different media
>         even, all is transparent to the user.

Important to stress that it can find packages on multiple CDs and
automatically ask the user for the correct CD(s). (Can RPM do such a thing?
They still have only one "official" CD, isn't it?)

> 	* that apt can upgrade all installed packages to the newest version
>         in the blink of an eye.
>
> 	* that you can easily optimize packages for your system by doing an
>         apt-get -b source PACKAGE. (Scrap those "Pentium optimized"
>         distros :) ) Those build scrips are a godsend.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer