Re: tetex is incomplete! waiting for sponsor

From: Colin Marquardt <colin@marquardt-home.de>
Subject: Re: tetex is incomplete! waiting for sponsor
Date: 27 Jul 2000 22:33:33 -0700

> > Yes, foiltex has licensing problems so it is useless to
> > ask on the teTeX mailing list ;-)
>
> So, is the "foils" package you are referring to really just
> "foiltex"? I think I heard about a real foils.

At least I am talking about foiltex.

> > Yes, so this means Debian 2.2 provides insufficient TeX
> > environment for users....
>
> So that would mean that also tetex is providing an insufficient TeX
> environment for its users. I cannot really believe that... :-)

No, it is no wonder.  The upstream teTeX maintainer try
to eliminate all non-free components from teTeX, even if
it might be useful component, and make teTeX to be completely
free software.  ('foiltex' is one of such eliminated components.)

And I guess that tetex-maint of Debian helps to do so.

Then what is tetex-nonfree?  I heard it is macro packages,
authors of which have intention to change their licenses
to free one.  And please note that tetex-nonfree of the
current woody contains only textmerg and nehyph[1,2].

In the past it contained, at least, several macro packages.

Best Regards,		     2000.7.28

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>