Re: RFC - Splitting gnome-applets

On 25-Jul-00, 08:30 (CDT), Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
[slightly edited]
> There is 3 solutions:
>
> 1) One big package. Size 3965 KB
> 2)  29 Packages. Size 16 KB to 1633 KB. Total 4336 KB.
> 3)  8 Packages: [organized by functional area]

I have a feeling that most people are going to end up installing all
of them anyway, just to browse them and see which are worthwhile and
which aren't. Presumably, if one installs "task-gnome", one will end up
with all of them. Most won't then selectively de-install them. Another
consideration is that for workstations with multiple users, different
users are going to have different preferences, and will want different
subsets.

So I'm going to vote for 1 (if that was the purpose of this RFC). And
I'm really against the package proliferation implied by 2. And I think
the idea of gnome-applets-preferred and gnome-applets-other is a better
division than by functionality.

Regards,
Steve