Re: ITP: links

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 12:08:18PM +0000, Pawel Wiecek wrote:
> On Dec 15, 12:32pm, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   Might be a good idea, but you should be aware of the
> > existence of apt-cache(8)  From the manpage:
>
> Ahh, all these new apt related commands are surely nice but then:
>  1. hell, my knowledge of them is near zero ;^)
>  2. apt-cache needs all the Package files. Which I don't have for woody. And
>     it's unlikely I'll have before I regain normal Inet access, which will be
>     around October :^(

apt-cache is indeed a newer tool. Even if you don't know about it
there are easier ways to find out if a program has already been
packaged. But, again to stress this point, as it seems to happen over
and over again on the -devel lists with ITP announcements, before you
ITP a package, please follow the simple prescription of the New
Maintainer's Guide (http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/) in Section
2.1 (on how to decide on a program to package):

<quote>

* check if the package is in the distribution already. If you use the
  `stable' distribution, maybe it's best that you go to the package
  search page. If you use current `unstable' distribution, check it out
  with these commands:

            dpkg -s program
            dpkg -l '*program*'

* consult the WNPP page and debian-devel mailing list archives to
  see if anyone else is building that same package. If so, contact the
  current maintainer if you feel you need to. If not - find another
  interesting program that nobody maintains.

</quote>

Hoping this ITP:links thread goes away now.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer