Re: Intent to create: QtEZ

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, erik wrote:

> Hello Pavel,
>
> Thanks very much for the input - maybe we can get something going here.

I am definitely interested in developing a "debdoc". I guess we may now
start discussing the internals?

>  The nice thing about a prebuilt set of pages is that it would fit in
> nicely with dhelp and/or dwww and could be indexed and searched (SuSE has
> a nice setup for this kind of thing). Then each package could have a
> consistant <pkg>-doc associated with it (as "Recommends:") that would go in
> one place and _automatically_ be added to a central index. It doesn't
> matter if it has not been totally filled out - this gives people an
> opportunity to contribute without being completely obsessed hackers ;-}.
> And hopefully the result is a standard and improving documentation base
> for debian, no?

I think this is more than nice -- let the documentation be developed by
all, just like the open sources. However, I have never seen SuSE (my
internet connection is so narrow), neither have I seen the KDevelop (I
intend to check this out [offer some pointers, maybe]).

>   ==>E. ...??  ideas here?
>
> > 		-- Documents explaining the usage of ALL the capabilities.

I think documentation for this point is application-specific. Therefore, I
propose to define templates for:

	1. Programming language libraries. -- I think this is pretty
clear.

	2. UAs. -- Here I think we should have a descriptions of all: GUI
/ ncurses-like functions, command-line options, stdin/stdout/stderr
capabilities.

Offer other templates, here.

>   The basic idea is to build a tool that could easily be applied to any
> deb-standard package and leave space to fill out the resulting framework -
> I think this might go a long way towards improving the clarity and
> accessabilty of documentation as both creating and reading it could be
> done within a consistant framework. I realize that there have been
> attempts to do this ( man pages, info, etc...) but it does not seem to
> have really come together as yet. I also think that many of the functions
> can be supplied by existing programs ( dwww, dhelp, info2html etc) -
> simply a question of putting the parts together in the right order ...
>
>    More Comments ?

About dwww, dhelp, info2html:
I think our point should be not making some huge messy documentation and
then trying to search through it via search engines.

If you are offering to use HTML as a default documentation format -- this
is a horse of another colour.

>  Cheers!
>   erik

> PS: I cc'd this to debian-devel , but I wonder if there is a different
> list that this should be going to?

If you find one e-mail me :).

Cheers,
Pavel