Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

From: Malcolm Parsons <malcolm@ivywell.screaming.net>
Subject: Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 19:55:09 +0100

> On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 02:48:00AM +0900, Chu-yeon Park wrote:
> > You're right. My colleague uses kterm+kinput2 in Debian system to send
> > the email to his Japanese friend, but his mother tongue is Korean and
> > always use hanterm except he emails his friend. Well, because xterm's
> > priority is higher than hanterm, xterm is x-terminal-emulator and
> > hanterm can't be elected. Further, if kterm had a priority and its priority
> > is higher than hanterm and xterm, he couldn't use hanterm as
> > x-terminal-emulator. priority mechanism is inadequate in this case.
>
> Either read the update-alternatives man page or just type this command:
> update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator
>
> The priority system determines the best default, you are free to override it
> on a system or per user basis.

Yes, of course we know, we can change the default x-terminal-emulator
by hand.  Furthermore it is true that update-alternatives is an
excellent tool (or one of excellent tools!) of Debian in GENERAL.

But there are few cases where update-alternatives is not appropriate
and I think that x-terminal-emulator is just the case.

Linux is a multi-user OS so how to do if several persons use the
same computer and some prefer xterm but others prefer rxvt.

How to do if Korean and Japanese use the same machine?
How to do if you should install Debian to 10 or 100 computers?

Is it easy to setup by update-alternatives?
Perhaps sensible-x-terminal-emulator can handle these cases
much better than update-alternatives, IMHO.

Best Regards,			2000.7.21

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>