Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 02:48:00AM +0900, Chu-yeon Park wrote:
> You're right. My colleague uses kterm+kinput2 in Debian system to send
> the email to his Japanese friend, but his mother tongue is Korean and
> always use hanterm except he emails his friend. Well, because xterm's
> priority is higher than hanterm, xterm is x-terminal-emulator and
> hanterm can't be elected. Further, if kterm had a priority and its priority
> is higher than hanterm and xterm, he couldn't use hanterm as
> x-terminal-emulator. priority mechanism is inadequate in this case.

Either read the update-alternatives man page or just type this command:
update-alternatives --config x-terminal-emulator

The priority system determines the best default, you are free to override it
on a system or per user basis.

Your colleague can set hanterm to be the default, and load kterm when
necessary.

> is supported. Although we are forced to use kterm as the default xterm
> in Debian, we *ALL* can't agree that and there will be constant disputes
> about that problem.

You are not being forced into anything.

> Consequently, I think, sensible-x-terminal-emulator have to be made and
> x-terminal-emulator had better be removed ASAP. the default xterm
> in Debian is sensible-x-terminal-emulator, neither xterm, kterm, nor hanterm.

I don't mind having this script as an option for those who need it, if you
want packages that currently use x-terminal-emulator to use
sensible-x-terminal-emulator instead then feel free to change the
/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator symlink to point to your script.

--
Malcolm Parsons
finger malcolm@bits.bris.ac.uk for info