GNU Sather?

There are Debian packages in GNU Sather's home page, but they
don't seem to be included in woody. I wonder why this is the
case. Aren't GNU packages supposed to be well supported in Debian?

Obviously, the authors didn't have the stamina to go through
the mind-bending Debian procedures for inclusion of well written
and neatly packaged software. But, why didn't somebody else
take it over? What I mean is, shouldn't Debian be following the
state of GNU packages and try to make them available in the
latest distributions? Who else is going to do that, anyway? :)

Don't take it as a petty complaint, but I think this topic deserves
some attention. Is there a group of developers who are following
what's new in the GNU project? I mean, big part of the GNU packages
are well established in Debian; but what about all of them? I believe
this task would require some coordination. Perhaps forcing all GNU authors
to join the Debian project would be a solution but I don't know :)

Thanks,

__
Eray Ozkural
CS, Bilkent Univ.