Re: rman (PolyglotMan) + TkMan are now under the Artistic License.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 10:33:38AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 01:13:21AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > 4.0 and 4.0.1 are substantially different; it would help if you would
>
> Well, i don't think they are so different, apart from more drivers support and
> the DRI stuff updated. But anyway, the incompatibility came from wine not
> liking thread enabled mesa, which is present in all X installs (just mesa, no
> DRI stuff) as well as woody mesa ...

They are quite different in the bugfix department!  Dozens, if not
hundreds, of patches applied since 4.0 declare themselves to be bugfixes.

Therefore, if someone is seeing a bug in XFree86 4.x, I want to be sure
that "x" = "0.1".

> Well, it is considered good form when writing to lists to do a reply to all,

No it isn't.  It's considered good form to reply to the LIST, unless you
have something private to say.

> > Probably, but I understand Red Hat is cooking up a wrapper library that
> > will somehow figure out which of several Mesa (GL) versions is demanded and
> > LD_PRELOAD the right one for the application.
>
> This seems somewhat heavy to me, best would be to switch to purely XF4 for
> woody, and keep the 3.3.6 server as compatibility stuff, don't know exactly,

We're going to be keeping some 3.x server binaries as well.  We have to,
unless we're going to tell some of our users to throw away their old video
cards.

> > We can probably adapt such a thing to our own purposes.  Right now I'm just
> > trying to cross the bridge of preliminary .debs.  I am being held up by an
> > incredibly aggravating Xsun bug in 3.3.6.
>
> :(((

Yep, that's about how I feel.

> Well, this surely comes from the fact that often your tone suggest that you
> want everything done by yourself

I want to be careful what I delegate, because (as I'm sure you can attest)
no one deserves to be on the receiving end of my frustration when X is
being recalcitrant.  As it happens, Stephen R. Gore and I have worked it
out so that he will maintain the 3.3.x servers once I have finished
Debianing 4.0.

Anyway, recall the mythical man-month.  You can only split one task up so
much before you lose more than you gain.

> only about this, but the tone of a mail
> should not hinder us working together, remember also that not everyone is a
> native english speaker, and so maybe don't choose the most acomodating of
> tones, and are aware of all the subtilities of the english tongue ...

I'll try to keep this in mind.

> Well, my opinion is that a team work (in the manner of boot-floppies) would
> maybe be the best approch to the huge beast that is xfree, especially since
> XF4 now includes lot of other libs that were not included before (especially
> the mesa/GL stuff).

Up to a point.  Like I said, mythical man-month effects.

> But when i told you this some time ago, i was told to mind
> my own business ...

At the time I didn't have space in my mind to handle 4.0.  Now I do (or I'm
trying to).  I do not want to cross bridges before I come to them.

The main decision to be made is how much of what XF4 builds should be
shipped.  Anything we don't ship as part of X, obviously, can be handled by
others.  If that includes Mesa, that's fine with me.  But one person at a
time has to build and upload the X packages.

> Well, i am not saying that i am either, but i am doing some driver work right
> now, and will maybe be doing some DRI work in the future, and you pick up some
> stuff by the way ...
>
> I have also been running XF4 on top of debian since some time now.

Well, if we can learn to speak to each other just the right way, I look
forward to sharing knowledge with you.  :)

> 4.0.1 naturraly, 4.0 is very outdated, and as xfree developper, i consider it
> my duty to run the lastmost release of it, to do testing ...

I would do so myself except I simply don't have a machine to spare for that
purpose.

> (btw, about matroxfb, Petr (the matroxfb maintainer) told me that he will not
> support XF4 until there is a debian package of it ...)

Which Petr is this?  That is an interesting attitude to take.  Holding
development efforts hostage based up on the development activities of
another volunteer doesn't strike me as very neighborly.  Nevertheless, I
hope to have .debs of some sort within the next couple of days.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |      If you make people think they're
Debian GNU/Linux                |      thinking, they'll love you;