Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

From: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
Subject: Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 01:00:32 -0500

> Please, there is no need to CC me list replies; please see the headers of
> this message, as well as the one to which you replied.

Ah, very sorry.  I hope this is okay :)

> I just get the feeling that by taking a program like, say, xterm, and then
> customizing it separately for Hangul, Han, and Japanese, there's some
> duplication of effort.  I think a better program would result if one
> started from the xterm code base and then said, "I'm going to properly
> internationalize this program so it can handle all of these character
> sets."

Well it might be best if every efforts are concentrated
on one point but note that we are in such a chaotic world,
open source comunity, so it is inevitable and natural that
there are many duplication of efforts, IMHO.

I guess that you prefer unity than variety but it is
your personal preference, isn't it?

Don't you admit the existence of both vi and emacs or even
xemacs?

> I'm not opposed to sensible-x-terminal-emulator as long as everyone
> understands what it is: an inelegant workaround made necessary by the
> actions of people who'd rather fork xterm than contribute to it.

Hmm, then a user of rxvt is a bad person?  From your tone
I can not help thinking that you are opposed to
sensible-x-terminal-emulator only by your preference.

If there is any unpoliteness please forgive me.  It is only
because of my lack of English ability and never my intention.

Best Regards,			2000.7.19

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>