Re: Just a question (was: ITP: galeon)

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Michael Holzt's letter:
> I do not understand one thing about the problematic with galeon. I was told,
> that the license of galeon (GPL) is not enough, because galeon is linked to
> mozilla, and mozilla's license is not GPL-compatible.
>
> But: When linking to a not GPL-compatible library is a problem, how is it
> possible to legally run GPL'd software on propitary unixes, where even the
> system libraries aren't GPL-compatible?
>
> Maybe i missed the point, but i don't think this makes sense.

GPL makes an exception for system libraries. see section 3:

... However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or
binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on)
of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that
component itself accompanies the executable. ...

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio