Re: ITP: codecommander

Joop Stakenborg wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:13:58 Malcolm Parsons wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:15:00PM +0200, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> > > Why should I contact the upstream author? I normally only do this in case
> > > there
> > > is a severe bug in a package which I want to fix.
> > >
> > > Anyone can make a debian package and make it available somewhere. This does
> not
> > >
> > > mean an official developer can't package it. Let me know when you become a
> > > developer,
> > > I will be happy to give it back to you.
> >
> > from /usr/doc/maint-guide/maint-guide.txt.gz lines 305 onwards:
> >
> >         * you should contact program's author(s) to check if they agree
> >           with packaging it.  It is important to be able to consult with
> >           author(s) about the program in case of any program specific
> >           problems, so don't try to package unmaintained pieces of
> >           software.
> >
> > It is useful to contact the upstream author before packaging to ensure
> > it is maintained, and that they agree to it being packaged.
> >

> Okay. I have removed the package from incoming. Will contact the upstream
> author tomorrow.
>
> Ondrej, do you mind if I upload it into debian, when I get permission from
> the author?

As I said before.  It's fine by me.  No problem.  Actually you
took a burden from my arms.  I was just unhappy, that you didn't
contacted anybody before packaging.

--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@globe.cz> Globe Internet s.r.o.http://globe.cz/
Tel: +420235365000 Fax: +420235365009  Pláničkova 1, 162 00 Praha 6