could icewm (potato) have a smp-problem?

I am seeing frequent hard crashes with a stable kernel (2.2.16?) on an
x86-smp-box. Usually the system is dead and barely responds to the
maggic sysrequest keys. This happens when X is running, no matter if I
work on the console or under X.

I did a stress test with two bonnie++ processes tonight and had it
switched to the console, so I could read the oops if one came.

THe oops said it was caused by x-window-manager (which is icewm for me).
I did not analyze the backtrace. The box was dead.

The hardware is OK (hopefully), this box is running for years.

up-to-date potato

THis is an observation, not a bug report. Can someone confirm/falsify
it?