Re: new fields in debian/control

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 05:59:02PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>
> > The bugs-tag(s) tell you who is responsible for a package and where you
> > can file bugs. Even if Corel or Stormix ship a Debian package, it is
> > still *our* package and we are responsible for it. So we should also
> > get the bugreports.
>
> That is not at all how a commercial company will see it. They will see an
> uncontrolled group of 500 people who can be mistaken as their tech
> support, the first time one of their users don't get a good enough
> response from us (or better yet, a rude response) they will go ballistic.

<snip>

> Perhaps the best alternative is for Debian to not use the BTS field at
> all.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant at all, but wouldn't it make sense
to hava a "default" BTS stored somewhere other than in the packages, and
fall back to that when an individual package doesn't have settings in
its control file? That way, the vast majority of debian packages wouldn't
have to change, and Corel and Stormix just have to rebuild the one package
that sets the default. And Helix or JoeBlow can set their own setting in
the control file and send the messages wherever they like.

Running a little too far with the idea, you could even (in the case of
e-mail based BTS's) set a field like:

Bug-Submit-To: submit@bugs.debian.org
Bug-Submit-Default-Too: true
(sorry, I've forgotten the actual line name suggestions, so I'm improvising.)

Then, with a little error checking to make sure the default value isn't
already submit@bugs.debian.org, Corel and Stormix get the report, as does
the original Debian developer.

<note>I actually think that Jason had a good point about the filter-down
of bug reports, so I just threw this last bit out as a possibility, and
don't think it should really be used.

Just some ideas from an interested Debian user,
Peter
--
It just wouldn't do for building contractors to say thing like, "Whoops.
There goes another one.  Sorry.  But just wait for Skyscraper 1.1; it'll

|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||    http://pops.dyndns.com/~pkahle/   ||