Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

From: Branden Robinson <branden@deadbeast.net>
Subject: Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 00:38:30 -0500

> > # Don't think this is a mere problem on name, since this will be
> > # integrated into debianutils. :-)
>
> I hope not.  Instead of all this furious forking of terminal emulators, I
> would hope that people would contribute to improving xterm.  It is actively
> maintained upstream by Thomas Dickey, and he is quite diligently working at
> improving it, with support for variable-width fonts, and so forth.  Maybe
> people should read the upstream xterm changelog every once in a while.

Well, to request sensible-x-terminal-emulator does not mean
furious forking of terminal emulators, IMHO.

> I question the wisdom of this entire enterprise.  I do not find
> sensible-x-terminal-emulator as proposed very similar in purpose to
> sensible-editor or sensible-pager at all.  Instead it looks to me like you
> are hard-coding in all kinds of locale-specific assumptions about what
> terminal emulator program should be used.  That way lies madness.
>
> Why don't we put our efforts towards making the standard, reference
> implementation of a terminal emulator fit for as many locales as possible?
> That program would be xterm.

Also I think to request sensible-x-terminal-emulator does not mean
to prevent any efforts towards making the standard implementation
of a terminal emulator.

The request of sensible-x-terminal-emulator might be the result of
variety of terminal emulators but definitely not the cause of forking
of terminal emulators.

Furthermore I do not think even if there is one terminal emulator,
xterm for example, which can handle every kind of multi-byte characters
well enough it become the unique terminal emulator in Debian.

There should be people who wants more small and light terminal emulator
and so on.

Best Regards,			2000.7.18

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>