Re: new fields in debian/control

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

> * Origin
>   This lists the origin of a package. For all Debian packages this should
>   be `Debian'.

I'd make it an recommendation to put an URL in there, so that packages
from not so big origins could be easily traced. Otherwise the source of
  Origin: Robbe's pretty useful packages
will be quite difficult to find without a search engine.

> * Submit-Bugs-To
>   An mailto URL to which bugs should be submitted. (It's a URL so
>   we can support other types of BTSes at a later date if needed)
> * Submit-Bugs-Style
>   Style in which submitted bugreports should be formatted. Currently
>   the only option here is `debbugs'.

I think the content of Submit-Bugs-To should not be mandated as an
URL, but rather be dependent on the -Style.

Indeed, even for the 'debbugs' style, an URL is NOT the right thing.
Rather, a hostname should be used, because
<mailto:submit@bugs.debian.org> is not the only useful endpoint.
maintonly@ and quiet@ must also exist an a host accepting debbugs
mail.

Other styles (bugzilla, whatever) may want an URL there.

--
Robbe