Re: rman (PolyglotMan) + TkMan are now under the Artistic License.

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 06:43:38PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 05:00:16PM +0300, Shaul Karl wrote:
> > Since Stephen M Moraco <stephen_moraco@agilent.com> is currently the rman
> > maintainer (he has uploaded rman_3.0.9-1 to incoming a few weeks ago) and my
> > intended TkMan deb depends on rman I just want to make sure that everyone here
> > is aware to the rman package status.
>
> XFree86 4.0.1 is putting me in the interesting position of having to either
> hijack packages from people (libxpm*), or work out some sort of détente
> with them (Mesa, rman, and others).
>
> Stephen, can you tell me if rman upstream development has officially been
> transferred to XFree86?  I know this is the case with the Xpm libraries,
> since Xpm was essentially a "finished" spec and implementation a couple of
> years back.  I know the X guys have been hacking on rman quite a bit, so
> this indicated the possibility to me that they have taken over its upstream
> maintenance.
>
> Just a note to bystanders reading this.  Don't panic, I'm not going to put
> 4.0.1 in unstable with undeclared conflicts.  My initial, experimental
> packages may do so, however.  Once the Phase 1 .debs are up I'll watch the
> reports roll in about exactly what packages 4.0.1 steps on.
>
> Here's what I know so far:
>
> PACKAGE		MAINTAINER	NOTES
>
> mesa		James Treacy	I talked to him; because of GGI and stuff,
> 				Mesa will continue to be maintained
> 				independently of X, however X will provide
> 				its own Mesa/GL implementation in xlibgl1
> 				(which will provide libgl1) and xlibgl-dev

huh ???

will ggi-mesa and x-mesa be able to be installed simoultanouesly or will they
conflict ?

i don't know, but it seems to me that accelerated mesa for X as well as the
remaining DRI stuff is one of the most advertissed part of the XF4 release
(well together with the proprietary binary drivers from nvidia and the like,
how do you plan to manage those, branden ?)

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER