Re: SECURITY PROBLEM: autofs [all versions]

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 02:21:18PM -0400, Christopher W. Curtis wrote:
> David Starner wrote:
> > I'm saying that Debian adminstrators who want to customize their system,
> > possibly because they disagree with how Debian does it, can modify the
> > init scripts. (I don't consider "copy/paste/change start to really-start
> > where nessecary" rolling my own init script.) That's the way Debian gives
> > you to change things, and all these whines about how hard it is are stupid.
>
> I don't think that "redo it how you want to" is really a way that is
> given to you - it's something that because of a lack of a better way,
> forces you to chose.  I don't think anyone is complaining that it's too
> hard - just that there has got to be a better way.  What that is, I
> don't claim to know, but if it's to be discussed, it should be done so
> under a different subject.  ;-)

What I'm trying to say is that of the current choices available to me for
disabling portmap, none are particularly attractive.  The least unattractive,
which is changing all of the S* links to K* links in /etc/rc*.d is still not
a great answer -- why should I litter up my file system with unnecessary
symlinks?

Anyway, as I said before, IMHO portmap should be taken out of netbase and
made into its own package.  I don't see why any system should need portmap
unless it is running an NFS server or some other RPC service. (are there any?
or at least, any that are used by more than 5 people?)

--Adam