Re: SECURITY PROBLEM: autofs [all versions]

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 09:28:03AM -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 09:26:55AM +0200, Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 12:11:01 -0500,
> > David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> wrote:
> > [...]
> > > The
> > > correct way to handle is to hack the init.d script not to run it. Pretty
> > > much any other way is wrong.
> >
> > this is not correct. if i put an "exit 0" in front of the init.d script, i
> > can't start the daemon manually, which is what i might want to do from time
> > to time. so "to hack the init.d script not to run" certainly ain't the
> > correct way.
>
> Then don't use exit 0. I'm not a Unix Guru, but it didn't take me that long
> to come up with this for /etc/init.d/gdm last time I needed it.

Ah, so you are suggesting that debian users roll their own init scripts
whenever they have a stupid problem like this that debian doesn't want to
fix?

I for one never understood why portmap was part of "netbase" in the first
place.  You certainly don't need it unless you are running RPC stuff like NFS
-- why not make it its own package and make nfs-server and other RPC-based
software depend on it?

--Adam