Re: Debian 2.2 Release.

Hi,

> Date:    Tue, 04 Jul 2000 18:55:56 +0200
> To:      Debian Developerslist <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
> From:    Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: Debian 2.2 Release.
>
> On 00-07-04 Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> > * "Hamish" =3D=3D Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Hamish> Which isn't much good since the bug command will still send to
> > Hamish> the debian.org bts, for example.
>
> > bug is obsolete, and reportbug can handle different debugs servers.
>
> Hm, so you think everybody should install python-base and python-newt
> just to be able to submit bugs for debian-packages? I won't do so and
> find this not a possible solution,

Get some perspective. It IS possible. All I have to do to disprove your
statement is to show one person who uses it successfully. I present myself.

QED.

At worst, it's somewhat inconvenient.

Also, reportbug presents other bugs in the package, which makes it really
useful.

> so bug is in my opinion absolutely
            ------------- ----------

Contradiction in terms. Just say you prefer bug.

> not obsolete and still needed.

I would suggest to you that due to the added functionality of reportbug
(that it tries to get the submitter to think about his report), bug
should be deprecated. The reason for my suggestion is that, in my opinion,
this functionality is needed, and could be expanded upon to allow what
would have been a separate bug report to be tacked onto an existing report.

If you don't like python, maybe it should be recoded it in some other
language, such as perl. If the recoding is restricted to only that part
of perl that is in perl-base, you don't have to install anything extra.

-Jim

---
Jim Lynch       Finger for pgp key
as Laney College CIS admin:  jim@laney.edu   http://www.laney.edu/~jim/